Monday, April 8, 2013

how a spark becomes a light

What is a leader? That is something that got me thinking about a lot lately. For me a leader is not a flawless or perfect person, no, that's just what I used to think. A leader is someone who knows his abilities, and in the mean time is aware of his limitations. A leader is not too stubborn to admit that he is afraid, that it doesn't work out, but the thing is that he still tries to do it the best he can. Another thing about leading others is that you need to be some kind of role model. If your personality is absolutely awful, then you shouldn't be representing others. Most important, practice what you preach. Your authenticity is your 'summum bonum', without it you can't be taken seriously and all you put in was in vain.

When I started to think of writing about this here I did some research and what I found inspired me even more. Most of the quotes I've seen said that you shouldn't send people to places you wouldn't go, and that's right. A leader is not only an organizer, no, he is a pioneer too. You shouldn't be forcing people to do things you wouldn’t do yourself.

In my life there have been some pretty good leaders, some of them were of course more important to me than others, some formed me and others just touched me. They used their free time to engage in something they believed was good, in a youth group, a camp, or some kids’ activities. I've always admired their strength and power and what they did. Deep inside I've always hoped to become such a person too, someone people trust, a reliable person who is there.

Also throughout my life I've seen how people invested in me personally, whether it's just keeping my back, saying something nice or actively spending their time or even money in order to keep me growing, the support just never ends. At first there are my parents, especially my mum who listens to my ideas and pushes me whenever I really need it. I'm not self confident, I don't trust myself and I feel like I could never accomplish anything. Surprisingly, there are a lot of people who would disagree, and those people taught me to believe that too. I'm a spark, a little tiny piece of fire, not bright enough to enlighten anything, but you know what, get me close enough to dry straw and I'll show you what I'm able to do.

So now this is something that is happening a person sees the spark within me and what's it to become bigger, to burn more. There is someone investing in me, is confident me. It's not all set yet, but there is a huge chance that something is coming my way. To say it with slightly varied but still famous words: This is one small step for mankind, one giant leap for myself. It's something I've been thinking of and decided that I was just not yet ready, meaning that I shouldn't aspire to it now, simply because I was too afraid. Of course life disagreed and told me that now IS the time and more exactly, that I might be ready to grow into a leader.

To be honest that is something I tend to forget. In order to be something, you need to become it first. So here I am, taking chances and leaping forward, slowly getting to the person I want to be in the future, ignoring the fear that is holding me back. Whatever comes next, I'll keep you posted!

Cheerio

No comments:

Post a Comment