Thursday, April 11, 2013

As it seems YouTube did a thing...

Yes, as of the day before yesterday, there now is a regional YouTube page for Switzerland, meaning there is the address youtube.ch. When I first heard of that I wasn't that impressed as I thought it was nothing spectacular, but a friend of mine changed my point of view a bit. This post will explain at some point how YouTube works, at least what I understood so far.

As you might or might not know, I've fallen in love with YouTube lately. I did two videos, the third is in the process of being done (I need to refilm it as I hate what I did...), but to this point I'm rather consuming than producing. When said friend announced on twitter that it's now easier to become a YouTube partner and that at some point we might even get a creator space, I started to realize what that really meant for the local YouTube Community. So at first let me explain you those two things, "YouTube Partner" and "Creator Space"

There is a thing called the partner program, I don't know the Swiss rules yet, but in the UK you need to have 10'000 subscriber and you can get into that program. It includes some perks like getting money from your video's ads and the possibility to go to the creator space

The creator space is literally one of the coolest things ever. The first was opened in London, there are two in the USA and one opens in Tokyo really soon, at least as far as I know. It's a place where YouTube partners can hang out, film collabs and even get professional help on their work. Also there aspiring but not so famous creators get teachings on how to improve their content. So if we'd get one of those, it would be a huge chance for the Swiss YouTube community.

I can see a problem there though. When I asked my twitter friend how many Swiss vloggers, or youtubers at all, she knew, she had admitted that she knew none, just like me. Where are all the creators here? I'm sure they're out there, not yet known. So maybe this whole YouTube thing gives us a voice. Maybe my friend will start producing stuff, maybe I will, and of course others are already doing great stuff. Let's see what we get out of this. I've heard that it might be a chance for musicians, but I'd really like to see about sketch makers and vloggers, maybe some make-up gurus too.

I still continued to make a little research and found a Swiss vlogger. The thing is her videos are German, and I'm not sure about how I like that, I mean it wasn’t „originally Swiss“, as it wasn’t swiss-german, but it wasn’t as international as it could’ve been if she used English. There are good German youtubers out there, and I don’t want to limit their success, but I enjoy the English language way too much. Maybe I'll do a post about the whole language topic another time, but let's end this here.

No comments:

Post a Comment