Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Home sweet Home

As you all probably know and have heard too many times, I moved out. Well technically I'm only staying at my new plays 4 days a week, but you know, it somehow still counts. I'm halfway through my fifth week of doing this and very slowly but surely I adapted to this new phase and I feel more and more comfortable with my situation. Let me tell you a bit more about the whole first impressions I got.

So when I spent my first night at this scary new place I've only been there twice before. As I had some busy weeks right before I started uni it kind of happened that I only properly moved in the day prior to the actual first day. Of course my stuff was already there but it's not your place until you at least spent several hours there/slept there. I felt very anxious that day. I had not yet bought any food and I almost didn't dare to go out of my room as it was intimidating and somewhat overwhelming. My dinner that day was leftover celebration my Mum bought when we unpacked my things the week before.

I didn't sleep well that night, again due to the strangeness of the whole situation, but at least I expected that. Now I'm not going to tell you how the university stuff worked out, I might want to tell that in another post, I just want to talk about the shared flat I live in. It was strange sharing a place with people I didn't know at all. I did not even see my third flatmate until the day after I moved in, which seemed very odd to me. 

I live with two guys who speak French as their mother tongue and a fellow female that is Swissgerman. She is in her first year just like me, whereas the older guy is in his third and the younger does some kind of school (of which basically none of us understood what it's all about). I assumed that me and my FFM (female flat mate :D) would be going along well because she is easy to be with, but I was not sure about the guys, especially given the fact that I'm not confident at all of my French. At first the language barrier was huge, but it's not as bad anymore. (I can always use an English word if my French fails me).

The first week was very though and I missed home already on my second evening there. It was the sum of everything happening around me, the fast changes that caused this feeling, but still it was very hard on me. When I knew I was going home on Thursday evening I danced around in my room, happily packing my bags. I think I've never felt as homesick as the moment my train arrived at my hometown. I could've literally cried. I would've never thought that you could feel this way after just four days, but I couldn't help it anyway.

So the next Sunday I really didn't want to leave. Don't get me wrong, I didn’t have any really negative experiences, it was just too much to cope with, too many changes for me. I missed to have my friends close, I missed talking to my brother about things he doesn't care about but he still listens and I felt very lonely in general, which is weird given the fact I was surrounded by people a lot. Again I managed to get through that week, having only very small conversations with my flatmates.

During the third week we managed to be in one room all at once, which to be honest was quite the achievement. Since then it has increased rapidly though.

The situation now is pretty good I'd say. After some struggles with convincing the boys to stick to the cleaning schedule of us girls we have the older one on our side. The younger one starts to be annoying due to him lying to us about cleaning and not trying to understand what we say. Also he doesn't slow down while speaking to use which is kind of rude as we are trying our best to converse in French. Probably we should just blame it on his age, but c'mon, that's just not ok.

My FFM and the older MFM have started a prank war with each other, including fake arguments. It is hilarious to watch and listen to. I have declared my neutrality, but I'm secretly helping her a lot. I mean I've been pranked so much that it's kind of dull just watching, on the other hand it's in fact really nice not to be targeted all the time.

Yesterday the three of us stayed up till 1 am, even though we had class at eight, just to talk about music and movies and stuff. I realize how I start to actually enjoy this place, and once the word "home" even got into my mind while thinking about it, which made me smile.

I don't know how this will work out, as there is still a lot of time left here, but to be honest I feel quite confident that it might end up alright.

Cheerio.

Oh and before I leave, I should be writing on a presentation that is due tomorrow but I'm busy procrastinating .... The FFM proposed to drink Grappa to get over writers block....oh college life xD

No comments:

Post a Comment